Infonetics Research, now part of HIS, is forecasting the global mobile M2M module market to accelerate more noticeably in 2015, and ultimately to nearly triple in value to $4.5b by 2018.
John Byrne, directing analyst for M2M and IoT at Infonetics Research, said: “Machine-to-machine (M2M) and the Internet of Things (IoT) are transforming industries and creating tremendous opportunities for mobile M2M module vendors around the world,” said “The market will account for $1.6 billion in sales this year, driven by M2M services reported by customers of tier 1 mobile operators.”
Infonetics reports that:
- M2M module unit shipments are dominated by 2G today, but soon 3G will rule the revenue opportunity with the shift toward broadband technologies, and 4G will emerge as the fastest-growing technology segment in terms of percentage of units;
- Geographically, Asia Pacific is growing most quickly, buoyed by the tremendous investments being made in China;
- The transport segment is the largest and most important vertical sector, driven by connected car deployments;
- Spurred on by regulatory smart grid investments, the utility segment is seeing strong growth that is expected to continue through at least 2018, as European and Asian countries scurry to meet government mandates;
- Gemalto/Cinterion, Sierra Wireless, and Telit continue to dominate the M2M module market, together accounting for nearly 2/3 of total market revenue.